Ladies and Gentlemen, Start Your Wallets: Bovada Releases Props for 2013 Season Win Totals
The surest sign of spring is when the oddsmakers start listing their props for the upcoming season. Here is how Bovada sees the final standings when the dust settles at the end of September:
|AL East||AL Central||AL West|
|New York Yankees||88.5||Detroit Tigers||92.5||Los Angeles Angels||92.5|
|Toronto Blue Jays||87.5||Chicago White Sox||80.5||Texas Rangers||86.5|
|Tampa Bay Rays||86.5||Kansas City Royals||78.5||Oakland Athletics||83.5|
|Boston Red Sox||82.5||Cleveland Indians||76.5||Seattle Mariners||77.5|
|Baltimore Orioles||78.5||Minnesota Twins||67.5||Houston Astros||59.5|
|NL East||NL Central||NL West|
|Washington Nationals||92.5||Cincinnati Reds||91.5||Los Angeles Dodgers||91.5|
|Atlanta Braves||88.5||St Louis Cardinals||85.5||San Francisco Giants||87.5|
|Philadelphia Phillies||83.5||Milwaukee Brewers||81.5||Arizona Diamondbacks||81.5|
|New York Mets||74.5||Pittsburgh Pirates||77.5||San Diego Padres||74.5|
|Miami Marlins||63.5||Chicago Cubs||72.5||Colorado Rockies||71.5|
The story lines are set. Among them:
- There's not much faith in the Pirates snapping their 20-year streak of losing seasons.
- Toronto's mega-trade with Miami and other roster moves may not produce the happiness that Yankee money buys.
- Speaking of the Yankees, did their win projection go up because Alex Rodriguez will miss much of the season?
- Speaking of money, with a payroll north of $214million, the Dodgers are projected to spend $2,349,727 per win.
- Is Josh Hamilton worth a 10-win swing? Last year, Texas won four more games than the Angels. (And yes, Zach Greinke might have something to do with this number, too.)
It also appears that Kansas City is considered to be the surprise of the season, as Bovada's oddsmakers look for a six-win improvement out of them. Given the prospects they traded to Tampa Bay, they had best hope for at least that sort of gain.
There will surely be more surprises than that. Just ask the Orioles and Athletics of last year. The game now is to find them.